The Pensions Regulator has published an essential guide to automatic enrolment for people who employ their own carers, which describes who needs to be enrolled and when, to help you comply with the law on workplace pensions if you employ workers for your own care and support.

The essential guide is for individuals who employ carers/personal assistants to care for them.

The law on workplace pensions has changed. Every employer with at least one member of staff (even if it’s a carer to help you around the home) now has new duties, including enrolling those who are eligible into a workplace pension scheme and contributing towards it, this is called automatic enrolment.

If you directly employ one or more people to provide you with care and support, you’re an employer and automatic enrolment duties will apply to you. If they are aged 22 or over (and under state pension age), and you pay them over £192 a week or £833 a month*, you’ll need to provide a pension for them.

This will be the case whether you use money provided by your local authority, the NHS or if you fund your own care and support. If, however, your care is provided by an agency and it pays your personal assistant’s National Insurance contributions, the agency is the employer and you don’t need to do anything.

For more information, go to the Pensions Regulator website at

When people use HomeCareDirect services automatic enrolment pensions are taken into account when working out the costings for your service and this is all part of the service that we provide as our third party personalised approach to your care at home.

*These amounts are correct for 2015-2016 – they are reviewed every year