You will all be aware that the Brexit deadline is fast approaching with the date to leave the European Union being the 31st October 2019. Below is some information relating to the EU Settlement Scheme and the recognition of EU qualifications in Health and Social Care.

Applying to the EU Settlement Scheme

For our employees who are non UK nationals there are a number of things you may need to enable continuation of your employment and your living arrangements in the UK.

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK.  The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021

The website below is an official source of information for what you need to do next to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (settled and pre-settled status).

This site provides information relating to if you need to register, how to register and provides links to the registration process and what ID you will require.

Recognition of Professional Qualifications

Some staff have expressed concern about whether their professional qualifications will still be recognised if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. On 7 March 2019 the government put in place legislation to ensure that professional qualifications from institutions in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland will still be recognised by all professional regulators in the health and social care sectors when the UK leaves the EU, including:

  • the Health and Care Professions Council
  • the General Medical Council
  • the Nursing and Midwifery Council
  • the General Pharmaceutical Council
  • the General Dental Council

This means health and care staff from the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland who are currently practising in the UK can continue to do so.

For any professional registration queries, please contact the relevant professional regulator.

For more information please visit the government news page: